Bachelor of Technology in Furniture Design and Manufacturing with Honours – BNX
Department Of Mechanical Engineering Technology
Bachelor of Technology in Furniture Design and Manufacturing is designed according to the Malaysia Board of Technologist (MBOT), Technology and Technical Accreditation Council (TTAC). This programme is designed in line with the vision and mission of the University, whereby the graduates produced are expected to be technologists that meet industry demand with consideration for sustainable design and manufacturing. This is achieved by emphasizing current technologies into courses, as well as adoption of theoretical and practical skills along the process.
The programme is designed to provide students with a foundation in Furniture Design and Manufacturing discipline with an adaption of Work-based Learning (WBL) concept in related industry. This 1 year comprehensive allocation is made within relevant industry to enhance student hands-on capability and technical understanding.
In addition, the curriculum focusing on the fundamental of design include the subject of design thinking, furniture design, furniture sketching and rendering technique, visual merchandising and packaging and 3D Visualisation. The manufacturing course cover subjects of furniture manufacturing systems, furniture finishing and adhesive, custom made furniture, upholstery furniture and model making. Graduates are expected to be innovative technologies, versatile designers, and respected leaders in the furniture industry which is in line with UTHM’s vision and mission of producing holistic and world class human capital.
PEO & PLO
Our graduates are demanded in various fields such as in:
- Design : as a designer, desktop publisher, 2D draughtman 3D visualizer, visual merchandiser, etc.
- Manufacturing: as a technologist in production, sample maker, quality control, maintenance, etc.
- Research and Development: as a R&D executive in furniture, wood, design and related industry.
- Education: as a lecturer, instructor and trainer.
- Consultant: as designer, quality control officer, standard advisor
- Management: as a supervisor, project manager and technical manager in design and manufacturing.
- Marketing: as a sales manager, sales executive, purchaser in furniture and relevant industry.
- Technopreneur : Furniture entrepreneur, production specialist (premium item, 3D printing, laser cutting, engraving), furnishing industry.