Industrial training provides students with the necessary practical exposure and skills and assists the students in becoming a successful professional engineering technologist. The aim of this course is to provide the students with working experience in the industry by applying the engineering technological skills obtained from classroom/laboratory sessions into practice in the related field. Students are required to do the industrial training for the period of one regular semester (6 months) during Year 4 Semester II in engineering technological field according to the student’s discipline in the approved organizations by the university.
Industrial training is one of the main components in the curriculum. Students must pass the industrial training in order to be awarded the certificate. During industrial training, students will be placed at selected organizations for a predetermined duration of time in order for them to obtain exposure to the career world and also for them to be able to relate what has been learned theoretically with the real application. Students are also trained in the aspects of work safety and health as well as ethics in the industry. Students shall be given the opportunity to be directly involved in the aspects of operation of plants which depend on their availability in the industry. At the same time, students will be equipped with the necessary preparation for working life such as the exposure to numerous aspects of social, interaction, cultural and work processes in career world.
Every student will be evaluated by the faculty and industrial supervisor. In this program, students are expected to be trained in systematic and structured ways.
Upon completion of this course, the students will be able:
- To collect real practice experience obtained from various areas in engineering technological fields into the final report. (PLO1, C5)
- To demonstrate the ability to use engineering application tools and latest technology in related field. (PLO2, P7)
- To display the ability to impart knowledge, safety and technical expertise to the real situation (PLO3, A5)
- To verify knowledge, safety and technical expertise to the real situation either independently or as a team. (PLO5, A5)
- To solve problems on site based on the knowledge, safety and technical expertise learned in classrooms/laboratory sessions either independently or as a team. (PLO9, A5)
TRAINING AND PLACEMENT
Practical training are held in companies, firms and government agencies approved by the University and Industry Relations Office (PHUI) of Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM). The type of training to be given to the students depend absolutely on the type of business by the industry itself.
For more details log on to eLI (https://eli.uthm.edu.my/eli/utama)
eLI (eLI-UTHM) is a web based application system which is developed to manage the industrial training process in UTHM.
Dr. Hjh Roslinda Bt Ali