Academic Advising is an opportunity to exchange information designed to help students reach their educational and career goals. Advising is a shared responsibility between an adviser and the student. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the student to make decisions about his/her life goals by creating a plan to reach those goals.
Academic advisers can assist in this process by helping the student understand options, determine resources and, when necessary, identify alternatives. While students are urged to keep parents informed of plans and progress, the advising relationship uniquely is between the academic adviser and the student.
- Make advising appointments in advance, especially during busy registration periods.
- Come to appointments on time, and cancel if you cannot attend
- Come prepared for appointments by writing down questions/concerns in advance. During the advising period for registration, also come with a list of courses you are interested in taking the following semester.
- Accept responsibility for making your own plans and decisions. An advisor may provide advice, not make your plans or decisions for you.
- Define a primary plan to achieve your goals but also have an acceptable alternative.
- Become an educated consumer so you can make well informed decisions; ask for guidance and advice from reliable sources, get advice from multiple sources, and when the advice you receive does not meet your goals or "feels" wrong, get a second opinion. Ultimately, all decisions are yours.
- Create positive relationships with advisors, faculty, and staff.
- An adviser may provide assistance in helping a student learn how to make practical academic plans and decisions, how to discover a range of options available to the student, based on the student’s stated goals, and how to think through the consequences of the student’s own choices.
- Assist in development of an academic/career plans consistent with student’s stated goals, interests and abilities.
- Provide accurate information about policies, procedures and requirements.
- Create positive working relationships with students.
- Assist student in understanding the rationale and potential of an education
Sub link :http://e2.uthm.edu.my/ppa/pa/start.php (PA ONLINE)